Thursday, January 21, 2010

San Diego Community Art Events at the Women's History Museum

Some great art events coming to the Hillcrest area of San Diego, CA to the wonderful


Ladies Who Paint
at the museum thru January 31

In the tradition of Grandma Moses, these 3 artists discovered their artistic talents later in life and have made creative expression part of their daily lives.

Please join us to view "VENTURES IN ART", a representational collection on exhibit through January 31, 2010

Mollie Solorzano, Linda Kennedy and Dr. Georgianna Galas have painted together for several years and share a love of artistic expression.

Closing Reception
Sunday, January 31, 1 to 4pm

And in February

Bronze Sculpture © Jean Cornwell
"Up From the Ashes"
a new body of work from Sculptor, Jean Cornwell"

Opening Reception: Friday, February 5,

NOTE: This exhibit has been postponed due to illness in the artist's family. Will keep you updated.

6 to 9pm

Women's History Museum

Jean's work speaks for itself... but just as loud, are the words of the artist herself:

Artist Statement
My first one-woman art show was exhibited on the underside of my grandmother's kitchen table. I had not yet developed my own particular style nor could I reveal my source of inspiration but I was, nevertheless, expressing my artistic self. In years to come these childish dabblings would lead me to a never-ending experimentation with a variety of styles, media and methods which, to this day, are still in the process of creative evolution.

Born in the Black Capital of the world, Harlem, I was bombarded with sights and sounds that only this unique neighborhood could offer. I felt I had it all and was quite aware that I was living in a very live art gallery. From behind the windows of my basement apartment, I viewed the colorful parade of Black ladies with their sugar brown legs; red-eyed winos, drooling in drunken contentment in the curb; the white-tipped cane of the nameless blind man announcing this approach. I listened to the local crooners, using the stoops as their public stages. I watched the flamboyantly-dressed numbers runner make his twice-daily rounds dispensing either joy or sorrow. When I can on the street itself, I danced to the hop-scotch rhythms of the double-dutch, played with the neighborhood girls. I watched with envy the scrabby-kneed boys playing their game of loadies with old bottle caps. I enjoyed the summer evening games of stoop-ball watching the soft pink ball bravely bouncing against the gray-brown cement steps. It was a time for running, laughing, jumping-a fun time. A lifetime of images, waiting to be born, were formed on these streets by these alive Black people.

I hope you can check out these shows. I am going to do my best to head down to this wonderful museum.

Happy show attending! ~ Jaime Lyerly

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have something to say? You rock! I am all ears....