Thursday, August 13, 2009

First 4 steps toward selling your art - from the Art Biz Coach


For those of you who not my Twitter follower or Facebook friend or fan, you may have missed all my posts about these steps. So, I present to you the Art Biz Coach Alyson Stanfield's "First 4 steps toward selling your art." They are wonderful and a great reminder that it takes more than just work in the studio to make it as an artist.

It is because of the Art Biz Coach's book "I'd rather be in the studio" and newsletter that I even started my blog and all this social networking. Knowing the steps and learning how to follow through with them is a must for artists at all stages of the game.

Here are the steps:

Step #1 is Devote yourself completely to a studio practice

Step #2 is Create your mailing list

Step #3 is Connect with other artists

Step #4 is Start writing about your art (and never stop)

I have steps #3 and #4 down. I love to write, blog, tweet, and connect with other artists. I write for my own blog, Art Making is a Journey and the Women's Caucus for Art Blog. It is even more fun to write about other artists than my own work. Over the past year, I have written about other artists such as Lisa Bebi, David Fobes, May-Ling Martinez, and events such as the workshops at the Escondido Municipal Gallery, the Women's History Museum's "Herstory" show, and Dance, Vocal and Drum Workshop led by Kat Fulton and Draza Jansky. Granted, most of these events I was somehow involved in, but what better way to write about something than to experience it firsthand?

Step #1 is simple, yet hard to manage. Devoted studio time. Do I have that? I spend lots of time making art, but I recently have been making art in hours of creative energy. When my college classes start again at the end of the month, I will be back on a normal routine of making art almost everyday. Then I will be back to devoted studio time.

Step #2 is the most difficult for me. I am just starting my mailing list, but am not sure which is the best service to use. I signed up for a free trial of Constant Contact email marketing service. I also have downloaded a free trial of Flick! which is a program to manage my art and my contacts in the same place (more information about software programs for artists on the Art Biz Coach Blog). I want to be able to send out art newsletters to announce my art and pass along the great information that I find on the web. If you want to be on my email list, please fill in the box on the right of blog post. Yet, I am still confused on which comes first. Do you have any tips?

So check out these first steps, and let me know what you think. If you have any tips on software programs, email programs or keeping up with studio practice, I would love to hear about it. Put it in the comments here to share with everyone.

Until then, Happy Art-Making! ~ Jaime Lyerly

1 comment:

  1. Jaime: Check out MailChimp instead of Constant Contact. No monthly fee. http://mailchimp.com

    ReplyDelete

Have something to say? You rock! I am all ears....