Monday, June 22, 2009

May-Ling Martinez's "Measured Resistance" art show at Seminal Projects

All this talk about my trip and myself and I almost forgot what my blog is about - Artists supporting Artists. Enjoy a deviation from the talk about me with today's blog post!

"Friction, 2009" (Mixed Media on paper)
copyright May-Ling Martinez


Want to see the most compelling art work being produced in San Diego? How about new art works that will challenge your perceptions of the world around you? Come to Seminal Projects!

Luis De Jesus - Seminal Projects is a contemporary art gallery in the Little Italy section of San Diego. Many of San Diego's emerging, up and coming artists, and established show in this gallery. I have heard so many good things about this place, yet I never had a "good reason" recently to step outside of 10 mile radius around my house (I am, sadly, really an introvert). I hear all the raves about the work in this gallery, and I do view it online, yet I never go. Well here is my chance.

A previous instructor of mine (and spectacular contemporary artist), May-Ling Martinez, is having a solo art show at Seminal Projects for her new body of work "Measured Resistance." The opening is this Friday, June 26 from 6 - 9 pm. Now I finally have a good reason to go to Seminal Projects! Yay!

The show runs from the opening night of June 26 until August 1, 2009. To whet your appetite here is an excerpt from the Seminal Projects' "Measured Resistance" Press Release describes the work:

"MAY-LING MARTINEZ’s new sculpture and works on paper serve as a metaphor for an innate desire to understand and control our surroundings under difficult circumstances. The works in Measured Resistance engage in the larger domain of relations—among ideas, objects, and the human heart—in order to gain a deeper insight into existential issues, such as the need for security and balance." read more

Sounds interesting, right? I think so too.

Please come by Seminal Projects to check out May-Ling's show. It will be an experience you won't want to miss.

Your turn: Have a show, art event or opening that you are so excited to attend? What about it draws you out of your house and studio? Are you showing your work somewhere that is a hidden treasure trove of contemporary art (especially in San Diego county area)? I would love to hear about it. Post a comment and link for us all to check out!

Happy art-making and Show-attending! ~ Jaime Lyerly

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have something to say? You rock! I am all ears....