Thursday, April 8, 2010

Blog Triage - HW 1 - Desperately Seeking Art-Loving Readers

Since the birth of my blog, "Art Making is a Journey" in January 2009, it has grown into the spirited and precocious toddler.

It has changed from a place to share my artwork and journey as an emerging artist to a place that I can connect with artists and readers from all over the world.

It is a visual and written representation of what is in my head, my heart and what is being created with my hands. It is a necessary and exciting part of my own creative process.

But it wouldn't have grown to this without you.

My readers (frequent or first-timers) help me to define what it is that I write about.

When people email me asking about encaustic techniques or set-up, I know it is because of posts on this blog. I love to share my knowledge with others, and this blog has become my platform.

Yet, sometimes it is neglected. ::Cough, Cough:: Even sick. Ignored. Needing medical attention...

So to help revitilize my blog's health, I have signed up for the online "Blog Triage" class taught by Art Biz Coach Alyson B. Stanfield and Original Impulse/Journey Juju Cynthia Morris.

I have been reading Alyson and Cynthia's blogs since the birth of my blog, so I feel like I know them personally. They are doctors who know the secrets to a healthy blog.

Our "Homework" for this class will be completing assignments on our blog. I hope by sharing this that you will be inspired to check the pulse of your own blog. Here is part 1 of Homework 1.
__________________________________

Blog Triage - Homework 1, part 1 - Describe your ideal readers

Desperately Seeking Art-Loving Readers

You:

  • Highly interested in Encaustic (hot beeswax painting) and want to know more about it
  • Has a sense of humor!
  • Love to look at and/or make art
  • Lifetime learner and seeker of knowledge
  • Enjoy reading about the creative process
  • Visually stimulated
  • Loves process art and experimentation
  • Cares about contemporary art
  • Can be artist working in any medium
  • Can be a student, retiree, working person, male or female (or cat), physical appearance does not matter
  • Hardworking and dedicated to the creative process
  • Wants to learn more about how to market your art
  • Interested in Feminism, Conceptualism, Post-Modernism, and other Art History-isms
  • Understanding if I ramble and change topics
  • Willing to support an "unknown," emerging artist
Preference: Living in San Diego area, CA, but open to other areas of the country/world

Enjoy reading blogs and social networking a plus, but not necessary


Me:

  • Emerging, Mixed media and Encaustic artist
  • Loves to share and promote Encaustic paintings and sculpture
  • Hardworking and dedicated student and mother
  • Loves to write about process art
  • Tends to write excessively about own life - even the "bad" stuff
  • Takes lots of in progress pictures
  • Needs to blog as part of the creative process
  • Lover of knowledge, with a tad bit of nerdiness
  • Needs to teach and share that knowledge with others
  • Cannot resist sharing on Social Networking sites
  • Very interested in Conceptualism, Feminism and Art-isms yet to be named
  • Supports other artists
  • Tends to talk too much and change subject at will
Looking for long-term relationship with multiple readers.
Let's get together and share this love of art! Will you be my reader?


No application needed - just read and enjoy.

Feeling moved to reach out and connect with me? I am always available to respond to your comments and email.

Thanks for sharing in this journey with me, however long you have been here!

Until next time; Happy Art-making! ~ Jaime Lyerly

6 comments:

  1. Jaime, I am looking forward to this blog class with you. I love looking at encaustic and I love the smell of hot beeswax- I'll be your reader!

    ReplyDelete
  2. YAY! Thanks Lynn. I am glad to have you as a reader. I am going to be going through all my fellow classmates blogs soon and you will be on the top of the heap.

    Thanks!
    Jaime

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jamie, you have created a great blog.
    I have been working in encaustic for almost 12 years now and also love sharing this amazing process with students in my workshops here in San Miguel de Allende, Mexico.

    http://eschwanwinding.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jaime,

    Love your pursuit of art, motherhood and the various related "isms." I wish blogging had been around my kids were little. Could have been a real source of sanity at times! Also love that you take lots of in-process pics. I need to get more comfortable with this. I keep trying to snag my daughters I-phone:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your blog really speaks to the heart & you are obviously a beautiful writer. Your first assignment here is right on. I love how you described both your reader & yourself. I've always been fascinated with the encaustic process, so I am eager to see more about how you create with this exciting media.
    So glad I found you on the Blog Triage class!
    Here's to better blogs for all of us patients!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you all! I am so thrilled to have wonderful artists come visit my site. Hurray for the Blog Triage!

    Jaime

    ReplyDelete

Have something to say? You rock! I am all ears....