Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Segment Collaboration with Sunshine Vekas – Part 3 – Process: Embroidery and Exchange

In Progress, detail of SC #5d (in the mess of my studio area) © 2010 Sunshine Vekas and Jaime Lyerly

Are you enjoying the step by step process of this? Because I am enjoying writing about it!

Just found out about this collaboration? Here are links to catch you up.
Part 1: Establish your System
Part 2: Process: Nomenclature and Waxing

Segment Collaboration with Sunshine Vekas – Part 3 – Process: Embroidery and Exchange

The image above is where we are starting today's post. We left off at me letting the encaustic wax to cool for the day.

Later that night and the next day, I used my new skill that I learned in my Fiber Surface Design class to enhance the piece - embroidery.

Embroidery on sculpture you say? I know. It is different. But if you have not seen all the super cool things being done with contemporary embroidery, check out the art show "Pricked: Extreme Embroidery". It is not your grandmother's sampler.

Also on the subject of embroidery as/on fine art, there is a great book called By Hand: The Use of Craft in Contemporary Art that I suggest. It notes that with our very technical, computer-driven life, people are turning to hand work to connect with something personal. I concur.

Back to the process: I hand embroidery with white floss intuitively on the segment tufts. I don't follow patterns or do particularly fancy stitching. I just make it up as I go along. Surprised? I didn't think so.

However, my new found knowledge of embroidery stitches influence what I do with the floss. For example, this piece of embroidery is based on the traditional Cretan Stitch. Here is a video on how to do it.



The waxed fabric was surprising easy to hand embroider, although like leather, it leaves a permanent hole. Taking this to my advantage and poked holes through some of the tufts without embroidering through it.

Embroidery In Progress, detail of SC #5d © 2010 Sunshine Vekas and Jaime Lyerly

Embroidery In Progress, detail of SC #5d © 2010 Sunshine Vekas and Jaime Lyerly

Embroidery In Progress, detail of SC #5d © 2010 Sunshine Vekas and Jaime Lyerly

I worked with the segments that had disconnected and rearranged them again.

Embroidery In Progress, detail of SC #5d © 2010 Sunshine Vekas and Jaime Lyerly

Finally, I took a photograph of the work and put it away to be exchanged the next day.

SC #5d © 2010 Sunshine Vekas and Jaime Lyerly


On Friday, I brought SC #5d in a humble plastic Vons grocery bag and waited for Sunshine to show up to our classroom. She never showed.

I finally asked our instructor if he had heard from her and found out that she had hurt her ankle and wasn't coming to class. It would be another week until I could exchange it. Rather than work on it anymore, I worked on my Fibrous Waximus project.

When we exchanged the pieces next week, I was delighted that she loved it. There was no "you ruined it!" moment that I had anticipated.

She especially liked the rose madder "mistake" that if I had an "undo" button on my encautic, I wouldn't have done. How's that for trusting the process?

Sunshine said that pieces had a different feel separated from the rubber holders. So my mistake began a start of a new direction for her piece.

Here is a sneak preview of SC #5e-1, which is Sunshine's modification on the piece.

SC #5c-1 in progress © 2010 Sunshine Vekas and Jaime Lyerly

Summary:

This process has been so exciting to share with you! From my self-doubt, working intuitively, to trusting the process, to watching the piece unfold in a whole new direction -- it is all about process. In that process, and sharing it with you, we all learn.

Want Sunshine's side of the story and her process? ME TOO!

Sunshine's documents her process via pictures and text. We are figuring out a way to have her process to fit the formatting of this blog, and when I do, you will get to see more of this project.

Thanks for sharing in this journey with us! ~ Jaime Lyerly

2 comments:

  1. Hi Jamie it is Catherine Foster. I wanted to comment on your great answers for lesson number 1 and could only find this link to comment from. Wow, after reading your blog I realized that somehow I glassed over the first assignment. I am Frazzled!!! http://fosteringart.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, Jamie, I really life your work. I also like the way you are able to show us your process. I feel like I am there with you.
    As a fellow triage student, have you migrated your blog yet. I get the message that it won't handle FTP files as of May 1. Of course, I have no clue what that means!

    ReplyDelete

Have something to say? You rock! I am all ears....